[UPDATE] KDE 4.0.0 Release Schedule

Richard Dale richard_dale at tipitina.demon.co.uk
Sun Sep 9 11:37:20 BST 2007

On Sunday 09 September 2007, Jos Poortvliet wrote:
> On 9/9/07, Richard Dale <Richard_Dale at tipitina.demon.co.uk> wrote:
> > I think we should leave out the C# binding in the October development
> > platform,
>
> They're not mature yet?
I haven't had enough feedback from people writing Qt apps in Qyoto to know
yet. And the Kimono KDE bindinngs aren't quite finished yet- we need to do a
runtime to go with them (mainly writing a few marshallers, not that much
work), and tweak the code generation a bit so all the C# classes compile ok.

> > so that we can have a clear marketing message that KDE4 development
> > is easy in Python or Ruby. Maybe some kind of competition for best ruby
> > or python kde app would get things started, I don't know.
>
> Sounds neath. What would be the reward? A prize, or for example
> shipping with KDE ;-)
Yes, the Technical Working Group wanted to set a target of there being at
least one serious non-C++ app (ie python or ruby) somewhere in KDE4. That
would be nice to have, but doesn't sound particularly inspiring to me.

I think there are a lot of very interesting things you can do with very little
code using with the new framework, and we need to think of ways to fire up
people's imaginations. Lightweight DBus frontends to heavyweight backend
services, querying the semantic desktop RDF datastore, Jabber/XMPP based
collaborative software, desktop apps using web service mashups and so on.

-- Richard