Temporary KColorScheme change - hard-code some state colors

Richard Dale richard_dale at tipitina.demon.co.uk
Sat Sep 15 13:17:21 BST 2007

On Saturday 15 September 2007, Jos Poortvliet wrote:
> I'm not that opposed to what happens in my current build: the text and
> widgets become more gray, but the background stays the same.
> - the window doesn't flash
> - the window is still readable
> - yet it is clear which window is active and which is not
>
> Now, who can tell me what is wrong with that?
Firstly the technical issue was that this was an experimental feature that was
being checked into the trunk when we are in the middle of a freeze and close
to a release. It threatens the stability of the release if made the default
option, in my opinion and others.

Secondly, my non-technical subjective view was that yesterday, I tried running
konsole and dolphin and flipping between them so the active window changed. I
didn't like the effect because it seems too 'heavy handed'. All the color of
everything surrounding the QColumnView in Dolphin changes, the color of both
the scrollbar and its background in the column view, also changes. It really
put you off and was tiring, as the when the views changed, you had to adjust
to the new color scheme.

I've just booted Mac OS X Tiger and tried the same test, flipping between a
Terminal and the Finder. I said yesterday that no windowing system changes
the contents of a window when it becomes inactive, but I was wrong because it
does happen on Mac OS X. The blue scroll bar controls become transparent
grey, and similarly any selected text changes from blue to grey. The window
title bar on the Terminal becomes a lighter grey, and the red, yellow and
green window buttons become transparent. The drop shadow becomes less deep
for the inactive window. All these effects are subtle, and you tend not to
even notice them unless you were looking for them.

-- Richard