KDE4 printing: results of IRC meeting

Pau Garcia i Quiles pgquiles at elpauer.org
Sat Sep 15 10:57:22 BST 2007

Quoting Jos Poortvliet <jospoortvliet at gmail.com>:

> On 9/15/07, Thiago Macieira <thiago at kde.org> wrote:
>> So, to summarise:
>> *MY* ideal world would be to have all of those "virtual printers" show up
>> as different options in the File menu. The print dialog would only have
>> real printers.
>
> I do agree with this. I know it's lovely each KDE app can print to
> pdf, but many users don't discover that. I could see this would be
> more work for app developers (they have to specifically allow printing
> to PDF, right?) but maybe something can be done about it. Its a pity
> we don't have much time left for KDE 4, it'd be lovely to really
> rethink a few things in the file menu. Like save, save as, print and
> export - can't these all be integrated? Getting rid of save would be
> great (autosave & save undo), save as == export, open == import? maybe
> even integrate printing in saving or something... saving to a
> printer...

While I agree "print to PDF" should probably be a two step process
("Save as...", then select "Portable Document Format"), users in
Windows and Macintosh are used to have an "Acrobat PDF" Printer,
therefore the virtual printer approach would be more coherent to them.

One very interesting point made by Kurt is using the KDE print system
from non-KDE applications. Will the approach proposed by the TrollTech
guys allow this? Will I be able to use the KDE print system from
Firefox, Adobe Acrobat, etc?

--
Pau Garcia i Quiles
http://www.elpauer.org