KDE4 printing: results of IRC meeting

Thomas Zander zander at kde.org
Fri Sep 14 19:57:13 BST 2007

On Friday 14 September 2007 20:45:11 Kurt Pfeifle wrote:
> Thiago Macieira wrote:
> > 3) Print to PDF and Print to PS are replaced by menu entries
> >   This should probably be provided as a whole "Send To" or "Export
> > to" QMenu standard action from kdeui, that we can extend with
> > .desktop files or whatnot.
>
> This only covers KDE applications then.
>
> It looses the feature to "print to pdf" for nearly *any* other file
> type (text, images, PS) when loaded into the standalone kprinter
> dialog, as it is supported now when you selected "Convert" in the
> dialog that comes up by printing non-PS files (well, maybe the feature
> was lost through the bitrotting process in recent 12-18 months, but it
> used to work fairly well).
>
> I'm not complaining -- just want to make sure you're aware what gets
> lost by the current changes.

Maybe you can look into the following item we have on the TODO;
question:  Can we add a 'virtual printer' to Cups which does nothing but
write to a file in a format like postscript or PDF ?

If cups already has this functionality we can adjust our KCM to support
this, otherwise I hope someone can bring this up with the cups guys.

Bottom line;  in Windows + Mac adding a (virtual) printer is a system
setup, not something that the applications do.  In Unix we should aim to
do the same thing where the 'system' is Cups.
--
Thomas Zander