Temporary KColorScheme change - hard-code some state colors

Matthew Woehlke mw_triad at users.sourceforge.net
Fri Sep 14 15:58:32 BST 2007

Jos Poortvliet wrote:
> And finally, KWin can do this, the style doesn't have to. Blurring,
> desaturating or darkening inactive windows seems a (compositing)
> windowmanager job to me.

No, it can't.

- kwin has to ignore certain windows, these will be inconsistent without
the palette trick.
- kwin can't do effects with foregrounds because it doesn't know what
foregrounds are, it just has a big ol' pixmap of the whole window
- what about other wm's?

Everyone keeps bringing this up, and I'll keep saying the same thing:
kwin can help (ok, so someone go hack on kwin already), but it is not a
total solution.

I would *like* to see eventually kwin and KCS cooperating, with KCS
handling the foreground effects (and inactive effects, which I haven't
heard anyone complaining about yet), and kwin handling the overall
effects... *most* of the time.

--
Matthew
The prhase "less is more" takes on a whole new meaning if you think