KDE4 printing: results of IRC meeting

Thiago Macieira thiago at kde.org
Fri Sep 14 12:27:48 BST 2007

On Friday 14 September 2007 11:26:36 Kurt Pfeifle wrote:
> > Printing arbitrary page ranges/selections:
> > The ability in the KPrintDialog to select to print only certain pages in
> > a non-continuous range, e.g. 1, 4, 6-10.  This option is only available
> > under CUPS and not under any other Printing Systems or Qt.  Nice to keep,
> > but not fatal, can wait for 4.1.
>
> The support for this feature by CUPS is simply achieved by passing "-o
> page-ranges=1,4,6-10" to CUPS. CUPS receives *all* the pages, and extracts
> the desired ranges from the received jobfile.

And this is extremely confusing.

If you select one page only in a 10-page printout in KDE 3 and then check to
see the print preview, you see all 10 pages. I know from experience it'll
print only the pages I asked for, but I think it should be displaying only
the pages that will be printed.

In other words, the preview should happen after the page extraction. Which in
turn means that it's probably a client-side feature. Since I know that
KGhostView shows pages when I select Print Preview, I know it's still
somewhere in KDE code.

    PGP/GPG: 0x6EF45358; fingerprint:
    E067 918B B660 DBD1 105C  966C 33F5 F005 6EF4 5358