KDE4 printing: results of IRC meeting

Kurt Pfeifle k1pfeifle at gmx.net
Fri Sep 14 10:26:36 BST 2007

John Layt wrote:

> Printing arbitrary page ranges/selections:
> The ability in the KPrintDialog to select to print only certain pages in a
> non-continuous range, e.g. 1, 4, 6-10.  This option is only available under
> CUPS and not under any other Printing Systems or Qt.  Nice to keep, but not
> fatal, can wait for 4.1.

The support for this feature by CUPS is simply achieved by passing "-o
page-ranges=1,4,6-10" to CUPS. CUPS receives *all* the pages, and extracts
the desired ranges from the received jobfile.

As such, I'd object to the "nice to keep, can wait for 4.1" argument,
because we need to have a *generic* way to pass any argument to CUPS that
we want to (this is currently implemented via the "Additional Tags" tab
in kprinter); also, it would be *very* nice to have (take this as "short
of 'must have'") if we had GUI controls for the most common options CUPS
does support when having received the job.

We *need* a way to tell CUPS what to do, and we need to address all the
features CUPS *can* do. (And if we have it, it is easy to tell it to do
the page ranges we want).

--
Kurt Pfeifle
System & Network Printing Consultant ---- Linux/Unix/Windows/Samba/CUPS