Temporary KColorScheme change - hard-code some state colors

Andreas Pakulat apaku at gmx.de
Fri Sep 14 11:50:27 BST 2007

On 14.09.07 11:11:55, Richard Dale wrote:
> On Friday 07 September 2007, Matthew Woehlke wrote:
> > Matthew Woehlke wrote:

> > > Since I'm hearing complaints about the current situation (basically,
> > > when using oxygen, can't tell active/inactive apart), I'm going to
> > > commit this by Friday unless someone objects.
> >
> > Done, since no one objected.
> I think this change is wrong because it turns your computer into a 'one window
> at a time' system. There must be better ways of showing which is the active
> window than changing the entire color scheme by darkening the window
> contents. I find it fatiguing when the window contents keep changing when you
> click on different windows - as opposed to just the window title bar changing
> (ie more transparent, or a different color), which is the normal way to
> indicate which window is the active one. If I want to read two documents at
> once, I don't want one doc dimmed and the other normal.

I completely agree. Also this slows down the switching between apps
considerably, at least on my machine. And we need the title-bar-info
about active window anyway, because

a) darkening doesn't work for all widgets (kate-view for example)
b) Its IMHO harder to see which window will gain focus while switching
through windows with alt+tab. Especially on multi-screen setups where
the list of windows is on one screen, but the window you want to switch
to might be on another screen.

The oxygen kwin style needs to be changed to indicate the active window
via the titlebar (how exactly that happens, I don't care as long as it
has good contrast to inactive windows).

Andreas

--
Celebrate Hannibal Day this year.  Take an elephant to lunch.