File dialog: preview widget

Aaron J. Seigo aseigo at kde.org
Sat Sep 8 17:39:53 BST 2007

On Saturday 08 September 2007, Kleag wrote:
> Maybe this was already discussed on this list and it's here that I saw this
> idea. I don't remember.

to do this "properly" really requires a new set of window manager hints.

personally there are a huge number of such "needed window manager hints" that
i'm aware of to make X window managers suck a hell of a lot less, but i don't
have the time or energy to get involved with that community to the needed
level to get them in and i don't want to do a half-assed job of it (i think
whoever does take these issues to the window manager community would only
have one really good crack at it)

for the curious, such hints missing include:

- this window should be attached as a sheet to this other windowId
- this window should be side-atached to this other windowId (what you're
looking for here =)
- system tray semantics (getting rid of the xembed widget, replacing it with a
set of hints on a given window)
- panel semantics so that we can stop doing window management inside of
desktop panels and instead treat each applet as a separate top level window
and trying to coordinate between the window manager and the panel app(s).
this would let us have any number of panel applications running at once (most
notably removes the "can't use Foo applets in Bar desktop" problem along the
way, while also allowing sane management of said panels geometries)

yeah, this is off topic, but it shows how much we're running into the
limitations of window managers constantly right now. =/ maybe after
composition managers are considered "complete enough" they will move on
to "making them manage windows in a modern fashion" next =)

(this isn't a knock on our own wm team, btw, they have a shitload to do and
are doing a good job of it; this is also a general problem among all window
manager authors i know of.)

--
Aaron J. Seigo
humru othro a kohnu se