KLibLoader is crashing

Thiago Macieira thiago at kde.org
Sun Sep 2 19:18:17 BST 2007

 wrote:
>Hi,
>
>I've found the problem. This one is a tricky one.
>
>The problem is a conceptual one. A library now can provide both the
>configuration dialog for a plugin and the plugin itself.
>
>If a plugin is not loaded and its configuration dialog is shown, then
>the library is loaded, and after Cancel or OK is clicked, the library
>is unloaded. That doesn't represent a problem.
>
>The problem comes when a plugins is loaded and the configuration
>dialog is shown. The library is "loaded", then when the configuration
>dialog is closed, the library is _UNLOADED_, but it was _still
>providing_ the plugin itself (that is still loaded) what makes it
>crash.

The way I see it, there are two conceptual problems here:

1) each load should be counted. The module (the .so file) must not be
unloaded until as many unloads have been issued as loads. It's like a
mutex: if you load (lock), you must unload (unlock) exactly as many
times, never less, never more.

2) unloading is broken, completely. It brings too many problems. I want to
remove the whole module unloading code from KDE -- but leave the API so
that there's the impression that unloading happens. Probably leave some
debugging about the number of unloads being different than the number of
loads.

    PGP/GPG: 0x6EF45358; fingerprint:
    E067 918B B660 DBD1 105C  966C 33F5 F005 6EF4 5358