Requesting feature freeze exemption for Gwenview

Andreas Hartmetz ahartmetz at gmail.com
Sat Sep 1 21:24:35 BST 2007

On Saturday 01 September 2007 00:18:54 Aurélien Gâteau wrote:
> Kurt Pfeifle wrote:
> > Aurélien Gâteau wrote:
> >> In the light of the new release schedule, I would like to request a
> >> feature freeze exemption until Beta3 for Gwenview
> >> (kdegraphics/gwenview). This would give enough time to add the
> >> following:
> >> - Implement printing support
> >
> > Are you aware that you need to get KDEPrint into shape first,
> > before you can expect reliable printing in $any_application?
>
> Hum... no. I must confess I very rarely print, so I have not tried to print
> with any KDE4 application. How broken is KDEPrint right now?

About 30% [+/- 40 %] or so of it work as intended and the source, while
apparently structured reasonably well, is just a whole lot of code. This is
why nobody stepped up to fix it, apparently. It looks just too daunting.
Printing (with all the options and backends) itself is nontrivial, so... there
seems to be no way around putting a whole lot of effort into it. And it
doesn't help that most developers are busy getting their own stuff release
ready.
The more obscure parts of KDEPrint didn't even work right in KDE 3, at least
for me. Double sided printing and so on - good luck... I had to use Acrobat
Reader and printing to PDF from there to do this.
So we are, basically, screwed until an experienced developer with enough time
appears out of the blue.