Status of konqueror / dolphin as file manager

Richard Dale rdale at foton.es
Wed Oct 31 18:52:54 GMT 2007

On Wednesday 31 October 2007 18:23:12 Leo Savernik wrote:

> > > But non-average users (again, if it exists) that want at a moment or
> >
> > non-average users can use the "edit toolbars" option. we're talking
> > defaults here, not possibilities.
>
> Toolbars cannot be customised in KDE, how often do I have to repeat that?
> In fact, *every* user customised change is *lost* on each rc version
> upgrade which at the maximum happens between each minor version upgrade,
> more than enough between patchlevel releases, too.
>
> It is imperative to the expert usability of KDE to provide sane defaults.
> Unless toolbars can be customised reliably and those customisations are
> guaranteed to stick forever, toolbars are to be regarded as factually
> immutable.
>
> Fact: KDE has no customisable toolbars. It has never had.
I worked on a project to customise the toolbars of KDE edu apps for use with
primary school children, and we saved the changes in the kiosk mode profile
for those users. We rearranged the icons, added new ones and increased the
size to 48x48. How would that be reset when the apps were upgraded? What
problems are you talking about please?

-- Richard