Status of konqueror / dolphin as file manager

Luciano Montanaro mikelima at gmail.com
Wed Oct 31 14:13:59 GMT 2007

Il Tuesday 30 October 2007 12:56:56 Peter Penz ha scritto:
> [...]
>
> > Another issue that bugs me is that there is not enough empty space where
> > to click...
> > That makes selecting files quite difficult. Can't the active area be
> > restricted to the icon + text, as it was in the old kpart?
>
> The empty space is configurable in the settings dialog. I've some ideas for
> KDE 4.1 to improve the selection functionality in general, but it is
> something where I really want to do some user testing before -> I need some
> time for this...

I've seen that, but it does not help much. Part of the problem is that the
highlighting is too subtle, at least on the screen of my laptop, to see if
the cursor is on the icon area or not; part of it is probably that I'm so
used to being able to click outside of an icon to start rubberband selection
that adapting to the change is difficult.

And besides, I think icons are already spaced apart more than enough at the
minimum setting. Maybe that's because I also opted for long text lines.

On the bright side, the icon views look better by default and are easier to
customize than in KDE 3.

> > And I really miss the treelist and the ability to zoom the icons with the
> > scrollwheel...
> >
> > Although I may wait for these things.
> >
> > Oh, since I'm already whining, in KDE3 it was possible to ask for 10 rows
> > of text under the icon... but in that case, the space was used
> > only when there  were files/dirs with a ten rows long name. Now I
> > either get too much empty space or incomplete file names.
> >
> > Is there hope to see the old behaviour again?
>
> Yes, there is hope :-) Especially those parts had to be completely
> rewritten because of the changes in Qt4 -> there are still some open issues
> which should (and can) be solved, but we are just running out of time for
> getting all those things into KDE 4.0.

Ok. The problem is that it is a bit hard to understand what is a missing
feature from what is a design decision at times, so it's too easy to get
alarmed.

> It would be a gread help if you could submit your input to bugs.kde.org
> (although I have my internal TODO-list where I track input from e-mails
> like this, its no good replacement for bugtracking :-)).

Ok, I will do that. One bug for feature?