dolphin (or solid?) and accessing external usb storage

Kevin Ottens ervin at kde.org
Wed Oct 31 11:05:11 GMT 2007

Le mercredi 31 octobre 2007, Dmitry Suzdalev a écrit :
> What happens:
> I open dolphin, mount my external usb hard drive (which has vfat
> filesystem) by clicking on its label in "Places" (I am in 'plugdev' group -
> this permits such mounts on debian). This device isn't in /etc/fstab, so
> only hal plays here :)
>
> The problem is: usb hdd gets mounted with "root" owner and rwxr-xr-x. But
> it should be mounted with my user as owner! But ATM "user" option seems to
> be omitted (and "mount" reports (rw, nosuid, nodev)).

Took the time to reproduce this between two sneezing. Same here, now that we
use HAL we should pass more information when requesting a mounting. For vfat
I'll default to the uid being the current user.

At one point we'll probably have to add a GUI for configuring options per
device, but I'm reluctant to do it too early in the process. Let's see what
we can do by ourselves without forcing the user to deal with settings.

Regards.
Ne font reculer l'ignorance."