dolphin (or solid?) and accessing external usb storage

Dmitry Suzdalev dimsuz at gmail.com
Wed Oct 31 08:23:25 GMT 2007

Ok, I got an idea. Instead of asking with no reply on #debian and #hal for
serveral days and pinging ervin from time to time, I'd just quickly summarize
the issue here, so it can be perhaps decided who to blame - kde, dolphin,
solid or hal or debian :)

What happens:
I open dolphin, mount my external usb hard drive (which has vfat filesystem) by
clicking on its label in "Places" (I am in 'plugdev' group - this permits such
mounts on debian). This device isn't in /etc/fstab, so only hal plays here :)

The problem is: usb hdd gets mounted with "root" owner and rwxr-xr-x. But it
should be mounted with my user as owner! But ATM "user" option seems to be
omitted (and "mount" reports (rw, nosuid, nodev)).

Mounting is correct in kde3 - i get my user as owner. Though Kevin said that
comparing mounting methods of kde3 and solid is like comparing apples and
oranges - i just note that it correctly works in kde3 :)

The only result of my several day long asking tour on #hal and #debian was the
note from guy from #hal, something like "hmm. perhaps nowadays client must
supply to hal mounting options. gnome-mount does that correctly in debian.
otherwise I'm not sure - not very involved last time". And those "involved"
seem to keep silence :)

Let's seek wizdom on this list :)
And tell me, am I the only one who gets this?

Cheers,
Dmitry.