Status of konqueror / dolphin as file manager

David Faure faure at kde.org
Tue Oct 30 01:14:19 GMT 2007

On Monday 29 October 2007, Martin Koller wrote:
> Hi all,
>
> is there a way to get the KDE3 style konqueror file browser instead of the
> dolphin part in KDE4 konqueror ?
Certainly not. You wouldn't want to resurrect K3IconView/K3ListView-based code
just because of a few unfinished methods in dolphinpart, would you?

> The Dolphin thingy is currently unusable.
Dolphin is quite usable -- but I understand that you're talking about dolphin-in-konqueror here,
i.e. dolphinpart, which is indeed quite unfinished. I plan to work on it this week.

> - I can not create directories
Works here (RMB / Create New / Folder). But many people reported problems with KNewMenu indeed
(almost-empty Create New submenu, iirc) so I guess we'll manage to find out where that comes from.

> - I can not move files via drag/drop from one window to another
Yep, on my TODO.

> - drag/drop moving a file also does not work inside 1 dolphin window (between
> 2 columns)
Here you say dolphin, but you do mean konqueror, right? Or is this about
the column view in dolphin as well?
DnD is TODO in dolphinpart, but should work ok in dolphin already [with maybe
some problems in the column view though, since it's a bit newer than the rest].

> - cut, copy, rename, move to trash is always greyed out (ah ... - not always,
> but I had the situation where it was like this - dunno why... restart of
> dolphin helped)
Yes, the dolphinpart doesn't implement those actions yet - on my TODO.

> - renaming a file crashes dolphin (always)
Was fixed today by Kevin, update kdelibs.

> - the highlighting in detail mode does not use a sensible highlight color. It
> uses light grey, which makes it hard to see what's selected in the middle of
> all other grey/white backgrounds
True (dolphin bug). Hardly a reason for a KonqIconViewWidget resurrect though :-)