Release schedule clarifications

Dirk Mueller mueller at kde.org
Mon Oct 29 20:43:44 GMT 2007

On Thursday 25 October 2007, Allan Sandfeld Jensen wrote:

> No I think he wants what all of us wants: A release that is actually worthy
> of being called a candidate release. Seriously, we just had 3 alpha and
> pre-alpha releases mistaged as betas, and now the first release of beta
> quality is called a release candidate?

you're confusing things: the desktop is still at beta4. I might agree on that
the first 3 betas were crap, but at least it only took us 3 betas for the
final KConfig refactoring to be done, right? ;)

All the plasma stuff is outside of kdelibs, and only kdelibs is preparing for
a RC.

The advantage of releasing kdelibs earlier is that there will be some other
applications available that need a stable kdelibs release to be able to
release as well.

Its just not *feasible* to release your own pet project for Qt/KDE4 right now
because if we continue breaking API with the rate we did in the past, the
tarball would be broken one week after the release.

Greetings,
Dirk