kconfiggroup and unhandled types

Aaron J. Seigo aseigo at kde.org
Mon Oct 29 16:23:53 GMT 2007

On Monday 29 October 2007, Oswald Buddenhagen wrote:
> On Sun, Oct 28, 2007 at 10:20:34PM -0600, Aaron J. Seigo wrote:
> > were there specific reasons for using kFatal that warrant keeping it
> > that way?
>
> well, it is a coding error, not a runtime error. we can't have

it's a coding error on the part of KConfig afaic. and dumping the entire
config just because *one entry* is not supported is completely daft.

> compile-time checking, so at least kFatal should be used to avoid the
> error slipping through the cracks - seriously, who reads stdout/stderr
> unless an error is blatantly obvious and "suggests" that something might
> have been logged about it?

the problem is that this is the kind of thing that is easy to slip out into a
production release. all it takes is one particular setting not being tested
that happens to use an unsupported type (thank goodness i use QRectF in
plasma, huh?) and there we have it: an app that will crash for 1000s of
users.

moreover, i didn't even *notice* that the app was terminating prematurely
because it was happening on app exit and there wasn't any further debug
output expected at that point. it looked like the app terminated normally, to
be honest.

i noticed the problem by. ...... reading the errors on stdout. so seriously
who reads it? me. and because the error was obvious: it had decided not to
save the configuration values.

at least now the debug output says what's actually happening versus the
previously rather unhelpful "unhandle type" message ;)

--
Aaron J. Seigo
humru othro a kohnu se