Bug reporting for KDE 4

Will Stephenson wstephenson at kde.org
Mon Oct 29 13:35:46 GMT 2007

On Monday 29 October 2007, Maksim Orlovich said:
>   Most (IMO) apps have their own
>
> > versioning scheme.  As well as creating confusion, this prevents
> > release-team
> > from querying for 'all the bugs in 4.0rc42'.
>
> That's impossible to query for anyway, since the desired answer will
> include many of the bugs reported for rc41.

Ctrl+click in the Version list in the query dialog.

> > I propose that all apps in the KDE 4 release cycle drop their custom
> > version
> > strings and use $KDE_VERSION instead.  What am I missing that prevents us
> > from doing so?
>
> Some apps have version numbers higher than the KDE version (e.g. kwrite).

And it has apparently switched to 3.95.00.  I just queried all the open bugs
in apps with version > 4.0 and there are 7 open bugs, all in kpilot*.  So,
would you be able to tolerate a bit of confusion in bug reports for these
apps with >KDE version numbers in return for more clarity everywhere else?

> But I think using something less vague than "Using KDE SVN devel", and
> perhaps having some way of searching for it would help. Of course, one can
> just use [KDE4] in title or something.

I think using our existing system correctly will work better than improvising
something else on top of it.  The version field at least limits the range of
version inputs, free-text tagging in the bug summary is open to many other
ways to enter data wrongly.

> Perhaps enabling the milestone feature will help, but it's not like it's
> not complex enough as-is

I don't know enough about how the milestone feature works to comment.

Will