KDE4 release discussion, Was: KIO::NetAccess static methods question

Kurt Pfeifle k1pfeifle at gmx.net
Sat Oct 27 10:47:08 BST 2007

Aaron J. Seigo wrote:
> On Thursday 25 October 2007, Aaron J. Seigo wrote:
>> because not releasing doesn't make an open source software better. it just
>
> it occurred to me while reading this that maybe there's a difference in
> expectations here.
>
> personaly, i do not expect kde 4.0 to be a release that comes preinstalled on
> computer systems or a release that one would put out into production
> deployments.
>
> this is not because of a failure of KDE 4.0 or anything like that. 4.0 should
> simply not be that kind of release at all. period. it should be something
> that lets us get that working draft out into the hands of people who are
> closest to us, but not us. emphasis on "working" but also on "draft".

I understand that. But to make the rest of the world understand too (that
rest that cares about KDE at all), it seems to me that we've got to invent
a new name for that release. A name that reflects what you said above.

Because what you just said, re-defines a "x dot zero" release. It re-
defines what "x dot zero" (especially for cases where "x > 1") means to
most people.

Most people (while still be a bit cautious because of the "zero" in the
name, and expecting more bugs and less polish) will *not* see it as a
"draft". "drafts" are what "Alpha" releases are perceived as. "Betas"
start to become usable and "RC" means: "we don't know of any more bugs
ourselves other than the 5 we list in the release notes -- not *you*
*users* please help us find the ones we didn't see".

So what kind of additionally naming tag could we add to the "KDE4 4.0"
release that transports (or helps to transport) your redefined meaning
of that release number?

"KDE4 0.8 platform technology preview release for Beta Testing End Users"?
(not meant to be a serious name suggestion -- just throwing a few name
tags into a single mix as food for thoughts...)

--
Kurt Pfeifle
System & Network Printing Consultant ---- Linux/Unix/Windows/Samba/CUPS