Tagging Freeze in Effect

Loïc Corbasson loic.corbasson at gmail.com
Fri Oct 26 18:11:50 BST 2007

Am Freitag 26 Oktober 2007 schrieb Oswald Buddenhagen:
> On Fri, Oct 26, 2007 at 09:28:35AM -0600, Aaron J. Seigo wrote:
> > On Friday 26 October 2007, Germain Garand wrote:
> fwiw, the comparison with the linux model is completely flawed. a
> 2.6.x linux release has a whopping *two weeks* feature addition phase
> and six to eight weeks stabilization phase - their beta phase is four
> times as long as the alpha phase. and anything bigger has a pretty
> extended (from linus' tree's pov) pre-alpha life in separate trees -
> heck, those trees often have their own alpha, beta and even stable
> releases before linus even considers them.

He referred to Linux dot-oh releases, aka 2.6.0, 2.4.0, 2.2.0 etc. If
you already used Linux by then, I suppose you remember they were
not "production quality", and some things were still quite broken much
later in the 2.6 releases. The previous release trees (2.4 at the time
of 2.6.0, etc.) continued to be supported and developed, waiting for
the latest branch (e.g. 2.6) to become production quality. Numerous
distributions continued shipping 2.4 kernels not that long ago, and it
apparently will be the same with KDE 4.0: distributors won't replace
3.x desktops in one shot but will incorporate slowly more and more of
4.x, and keep 3.5.x/entreprise branch/whatever you call this
side-to-side with the new KDE, allowing at the same time enthusiasts
and early adopters to use more of 4.x if they want to. They will
certainly phase out 3.x *very* slowly.

Regards,

--
Loïc Corbasson <loic.corbasson at gmail.com>