Tagging Freeze in Effect

Oswald Buddenhagen ossi at kde.org
Fri Oct 26 17:37:40 BST 2007

On Fri, Oct 26, 2007 at 09:28:35AM -0600, Aaron J. Seigo wrote:
> On Friday 26 October 2007, Germain Garand wrote:
> > Concerns were raised, and up to know gleefully ignored, that the
> > quality of the development platform is not any better than that of
> > the "full blown" KDE.
>
> while i disagree, perhaps i'm just missing something. what
> specifically in the dev platform are you concerned about?

> printing is still settling out though it seems to approach a
> conclusion fairly quickly here,

maybe *i*'m missing something now, but in my book that's a clear
criterion for alpha status. you know, beta means that everything is in
place and mostly working. this applies to libs (and their apis) and
applications alike.

fwiw, the comparison with the linux model is completely flawed. a 2.6.x
linux release has a whopping *two weeks* feature addition phase and
six to eight weeks stabilization phase - their beta phase is four times
as long as the alpha phase. and anything bigger has a pretty extended
(from linus' tree's pov) pre-alpha life in separate trees - heck, those
trees often have their own alpha, beta and even stable releases before
linus even considers them.