[patch] Re: kconfiggroup template 'mess'

Jaroslaw Staniek js at iidea.pl
Thu Oct 25 20:21:31 BST 2007

Oswald Buddenhagen said the following, On 2007-10-25 19:24:
> On Thu, Oct 25, 2007 at 05:06:22PM +0200, Jaroslaw Staniek wrote:
>> Attached a patch with explicit overloads and changes recommended by
>> Thiago (e.g. readEntryTemplate()).
>>
> note that prior to the first kconfig merge the api was also using
> templates and overloading them with non-templates. so this can't be a
> problem per se.
>
>> Tested on gcc 3.3.5 and msvc.
>> Can we start with this and polish it a bit?
>>
> i'm not impressed. major ugliness as a tribute to redmond.
> would you mind being *very* explicit about every problem you are
> encountering and elaborate on the cause? dropping cumulative patch-bombs
> with the comment "it works now, didn't do before" isn't helpful.

Thanks for reviewing it.
The patch was posted in early stage to give you idea what I've been working on.

As Thiago and then I have mentioned - template/nontemplate versions of
function (here: readEntry/writeEntry) cannot be mixed. r721704 was a big commit,

http://websvn.kde.org/trunk/KDE/kdelibs/kdecore/config/kconfiggroup.h?r1=716081&r2=721704

so fixing it neither is oneliner. So the cause for problems is that the
functions commited by Thomas Braxton are too much overloaded. The code worked
well many years until last week - what means to me bigger change before freeze.

--
regards / pozdrawiam, Jaroslaw Staniek