Plasma and TwinView [Was Re: Release schedule clarifications]

Andras Mantia amantia at kde.org
Thu Oct 25 19:20:55 BST 2007

On Thursday 25 October 2007, Aaron J. Seigo wrote:
> i have no xinerama systems to test on here. people will come in to
> #plasma and complain about it and will sometimes give some minimal
> system information, but we *really* need someone with a xinerama set
> up to test on and work on these things.

Guys, I have good news. :) Almost all the slowness gone away as soon as
I disabled the second screen! Even the K Menu appeared (altough the
reason for this might be that I removed the .kde4 directory). Now the
highest CPU usage I could see was around 10% by Xorg. But the desktop
was in general responsive.
 Aaron, how can I help to debug and fix the problem with this setup? I
don't know what kind of graphics card you have, but with NVidia cards
you can enable the second screen (be it a TV or another monitor) in a
so-called TwinView mode. The second screen can be a part of your main
screen, or it can be at the left/top/bottom/right of it, not
necessarily connected to the main screen and not necessarily aligned to
it at the edges. I think Xinerama can also do this, but that never
worked for me correctly in KDE3, while the NVidia mode works.
In my case it was defined to be at right, aligned to the right edge, and
the top of both screens are also aligned. So I have big screen
(1600x1200) and a smaller one (800x600). In KDE3 with this setup the
two screens were completely independent. Kicker was only on the first
screen, and also the background image did not flow through the screens,
but there was one background image on each one (scaled to the
corresponding resolution). This setup was handy, as I could work on the
main screen without taking care of the other (the only problem was that
I could drag any window there), while when I started to movie, I could
move it to the second screen and make it full screen there.
 With KDE4, I didn't check what was on the second screen as I usually
don't have the TV turned on when I work, or if it is, my wife is
watching it (like now). :) But on the main screen nothing was unusual,
the panel had the right size, the toolbox in the top-right corner
appeared correctly, windows were appearing here. Just that it was using
the CPU a lot.

 Again, let me know how can I help to fix this issue.

Andras