Release schedule clarifications

Sean Harmer sh at theharmers.co.uk
Thu Oct 25 19:16:07 BST 2007

Hi,

On Thursday 25 October 2007 16:21:46 Aaron J. Seigo wrote:
> On Thursday 25 October 2007, Andreas Pakulat wrote:
> > On 25.10.07 16:34:56, Andras Mantia wrote:
> > WOW, yeah. All my tests until now were on the AMD1.3GHz machine with an
> > NVidia GeForce2 (nv driver) with only 1 small 1024x768 screen.
> >
> > I just tested the kde4 desktop on my Laptop, which has a Xinerama setup
> > with 1400x1050+1680x1050 desktop and the KDE4 desktop doesn't work very
> > well there.
This was the case I had up until today. Aaron's disabling of the caching seems
to have speeded things up for me. I'll do some investigations to see how it
fairs with an svg background rather than a bitmap.

> i have no xinerama systems to test on here. people will come in to #plasma
> and complain about it and will sometimes give some minimal system
> information, but we *really* need someone with a xinerama set up to test on
> and work on these things.
I have tried todays build out on my desktop which uses the nvidia binary
driver in a "twinview" setup, and also with my laptop at work which uses the
binary ati drivers and there "big desktop" mode. Both of these seem much more
responsive today.

I'm interested in helping out with plasma as much as I can in my spare time
(as usual quite limited), and I have a few systems that I can lay my hands on
for testing with and without multi-head setups. I'll take some time this
weekend to become familiar with the plasma codebase and then start looking at
the background painting/caching.

> > The desktop-widget doesn't expand correctly, the 2nd button is partly
> > outside the screen.
>
> screenshots would be great. the desktop toolbox isn't completed in any
> case.
The attachment shows how the toolbox looks for me today. The buttons are all
within the bounds of the screen.

Very nice work so far so don't lose heart. :-)

Kind regards,

Sean