KDE4 release discussion, Was: KIO::NetAccess static methods question

Aaron J. Seigo aseigo at kde.org
Thu Oct 25 17:25:00 BST 2007

On Thursday 25 October 2007, Maksim Orlovich wrote:
> To be a bit less aggressive,

thank you. right now i really appreciate people being friendly and open in
discussion.

> it sure sounds to me like Aaron was
> describing a beta: something for early adopters to play with.

and this is exactly the disconnect imho:

should 4.0 be a "final product" that can be rolled out into production in
business and schools, or should it be the first step stone in the kde4 cycle?

imagine if we'd had this conversation for kde 2.0. no, those were more
innocent days where people were trying to do something interesting, cool and
move things forward. i remember just how crappy 2.0 was on my machine then (a
PII 400 no less =): slow, buggy as hell, incomplete in many places,
relatively few apps....

the linux kernel devs also push agressively on their dot-oh releases, all of
which also tend to be problematic in the "must be production quality" sense.
but they do it to get the release wheels moving and to broaden the test base
to early adopters.

people here are stuck on the "4" part and not the "0". maybe it would make it
easier for people here to understand if this was "KDE4 version 0.1" rather
than "KDE 4.0"?

--
Aaron J. Seigo
humru othro a kohnu se