Release schedule clarifications

Andreas Pakulat apaku at gmx.de
Thu Oct 25 16:01:29 BST 2007

On 25.10.07 16:34:56, Andras Mantia wrote:
> On Thursday 25 October 2007, Aaron J. Seigo wrote:
> > draging a rather large digital clock applet all around the desktop
> > for 10-15s results in plasma taking .3% cpu, and x.org taking 5-8%.
> > doing the same with a dolphin window of comparable size results in
> > x.org taking 15% of my cpu.
>
> I'm reading this discussion and I'm very amazed that you and Andreas
> don't see the performance issue with Plasma. As I said in my blog, I
> have serious problems with it, and I have no idea what can be wrong.
> The CPU is fast, Opteron dual core, the graphics card is not that fast,
> but should be enough (NVidia FX5500, with the binay driver). I tried
> with or without KWin, with or without composite extension enabled,
> still just moving the mouse over a taskbar button, or moving a plasma
> applet or right clicking on the desktop gives me high CPU load (60-100%
> combined plasma + xorg). The resolution is 1600x1200 plus a 800x600
> separate screen for TV out.

WOW, yeah. All my tests until now were on the AMD1.3GHz machine with an
NVidia GeForce2 (nv driver) with only 1 small 1024x768 screen.

I just tested the kde4 desktop on my Laptop, which has a Xinerama setup
with 1400x1050+1680x1050 desktop and the KDE4 desktop doesn't work very
well there.

I can't seem to drag any applet onto the panel, which worked on the
other machine, more importantly dragging around the analog clock makes
the cpu usage go through the roof, both from plasma and Xorg process.

The desktop-widget doesn't expand correctly, the 2nd button is partly
outside the screen. I have 2 desktop widget even, one on each screen.

The K-Menu didn't react at all and applets dragged onto the desktop
always show up on the right-most part of the desktop, sometimes mostly
outside the desktop. No matter where I release the mouse button.

Moving around the batter applet was ok, once it actually started moving
- took about 3 or 4 seconds. But moving the mouse into the applet again
produces loads of CPU usage due to the highlighting of the
battery-symbol in it.

Last but not least: The panel doesn't expand over both screens, but also
doesn't stay on one screen, it looms about 1/4th into the 1st screen
(2nd screen is left of 1st).

@Aaron: I'm going to file bugreports about all of these as soon as b.k.o
is back online again.

Andreas

--
Time to be aggressive.  Go after a tattooed Virgo.