kde3 kde4 coinstallability take two

Allen Winter winter at kde.org
Thu Oct 25 15:06:20 BST 2007

For the official record...

On Tuesday 23 October 2007 05:08:53 pm Allen Winter wrote:
> Any objections?  I'll do this stuff tomorrow unless
> there are objections.
>
> Move these into kdebase/apps (from kdebase/runtime):
>  kdeeject
>  knetattach
>  kdesu
>  kdesud

After talking to Dirk about this, we decided to simply install
kdeeject, knetattach, kdesu into libexec rather than bin.

> Install these helpcenter helpers into libexec instead of bin:
>   khc_docbookdig.pl
>   khc_htdig.pl
>   khc_htsearch.pl
>   khc_indexbuilder
>   khc_mansearch.pl

This was done.

> Rename:
>   kinfocenter -> kinfocenter4
>
> I really don't think there is much we can do at this point to
> help make khelpcenter co-installable.  I think khelpcenter
> needs to be able to autodetect multiple installed KDE docs
> and deal with presenting that info to the user in a sane way.

I left kinfocenter and khelpcenter in place.
There was no consensus on how to handle kinfocenter.

Distros probably should opt to use the kde3 versions of
kinfocenter and khelpcenter when creating a co-install package.