Release schedule clarifications

Torsten Rahn torsten.rahn at credativ.de
Thu Oct 25 08:55:11 BST 2007

On Thursday 25 October 2007 02:22:04 Aaron J. Seigo wrote:
> > I'd also like to point out that so far KDE 2.0 was certainly our most
> > problematic release. However even for that one the participation of
> > enthusiasts was a whole lot better. KDE 2 RC1 still had rough edges (more
> > so than any other release until KDE 4). KDE 4 on the other hand still has
> > got a lot of holes (calling it "rough edges" would be euphemism) in
> after beating someone about the head, it's always a good idea to give them
> a good hug just to make sure they don't come back to repay your for your
> treatment.

I'm just describing the situation as is in all details. And I'm making a point
why we need another beta for those who aren't convinced yet. Despite all the
good things of plasma, now is the time however to have a good look at the bad
things to be able to identify and fix those. So I'd suggest asbestos
underwear and rosy glasses to you for the next few couple of weeks.

I'll try to fix the little number of remaining issues in Marble and I hope
that I'll be able to help out a bit with plasma in about a week or two.

> i'm just surprised you couldn't find more ways to repeat your point without
> making any actually substantial comments. i only counted 7 repetitions of
> the same idea without additional substantial content. =P
> ah, one more for the road. luv you too, tackat.

I love you too. We'd be the perfect couple if you weren't this
thin-skinned ;-)
Seriously, right now I only count the very little number of 20 bug reports
reported against Plasma. I expect that this number will raise a lot more
during Beta 4.
By making a point why we need more time for plasma I just want to avoid that
you'll hear a lot more crap in the future (i.e. after the final release).

Dan Meltzer wrote:
> What about simply not releasing workspace with 4.0?

Because having a "desktop" is the main intent of the KDE Project. That's why
it's being called "KDE Desktop Environment" and not "KDE Application
Collection".
I don't think that releasing KDE 4 without plasma is a realistic option. And
if QGV is worth anything it should be possible to get plasma into shape for
KDE 4.0.

Torsten

--
 Torsten Rahn

 Tel.: 0 21 61 - 46 43 - 192

credativ GmbH, HRB Mönchengladbach 12080
Hohenzollernstr. 133, 41061 Mönchengladbach
Geschäftsführung: Dr. Michael Meskes, Jörg Folz