Release schedule clarifications

Aaron J. Seigo aseigo at kde.org
Thu Oct 25 01:48:45 BST 2007

On Wednesday 24 October 2007, Dan Meltzer wrote:
> It seems like an even greater "stroke of sheer genius" and by genius I
> mean I'm being sarcastic, to throw workspace out in a final release so
> that it gets testing for 4.1.  Isn't that the point of betas?

so your logic is that because it doesn't get enough testing now ... ensure it
gets even less testing in the future? wow.

then again, with all these "amazing progress" i've been hearing about lately
maybe things will actually be alright.

if people can get their day to day work done properly that's what matters,
right? not having a news ticker isn't going to kill anyone last i checked.

> Granted, there were no real beta's for plasma, but this supports even
> more the idea of postponing it.

ok, i'm going to bring this back to reality a wee bit and note clearly that
you mean simply replace plasma with kicker and kdesktop. in that case, feel
free to resurrect and maintain them. i don't relish the work ahead of you.
kicker will be particularly fun.

from an appearances POV, it's far easier to say, "well, here's version 0.9 of
plasma. here's the promise in it, we're working with the community to make it
even better." than "so here's old stuff that looks even worse now."

p.s. a note on effective sarcasm: you should never need to actually call it
sarcasm, it should stand on its own as such. in fact, if you really nail it,
people should actually be wondering if it was sarcasm or not. and if they ask
you should be able to say yes or no with an equally straight face and get
away with it.

--
Aaron J. Seigo
humru othro a kohnu se