Release schedule clarifications

Dan Meltzer parallelgrapefruit at gmail.com
Thu Oct 25 01:25:02 BST 2007

On 10/24/07, Aaron J. Seigo <aseigo at kde.org> wrote:
> On Wednesday 24 October 2007, Dan Meltzer wrote:
> > What about simply not releasing workspace with 4.0?  What if we just
> > cut off problems at the pass and released only kdelibs,
> > kdebase/runtime, kdebase/apps (maybe?) and required that users run it
> > within kde3 or whatever their desktop of choice was?
>
> OSVs and sys ints can make that choice.
>
> > This would eliminate one of the showstopping release issues, and allow
> > for people to work on getting kde4 ready for release instead of
> > getting basic functionality working.
>
> that would ensure that the workspace would get next to no testing, in turn
> ensuring that it would appear rather raw for 4.1. that would be a stroke of
> sheer genius; and by genius i mean larceny.

It seems like an even greater "stroke of sheer genius" and by genius I
mean I'm being sarcastic, to throw workspace out in a final release so
that it gets testing for 4.1.  Isn't that the point of betas?
Granted, there were no real beta's for plasma, but this supports even
more the idea of postponing it.