4.0 -> 4.1 binary compatibility

Andreas Pakulat apaku at gmx.de
Wed Oct 24 22:58:01 BST 2007

On 24.10.07 17:37:29, Michael Pyne wrote:
> On Wednesday 24 October 2007, Andreas Pakulat wrote:
> > On 24.10.07 22:22:49, Leo Savernik wrote:
> > > c) release 4.0, admit that it didn't cut it, and release 5.0 in place of
> > > 4.1 to make KDE shine.
> >
> > Just one comment: How is 5.0 with BIC changes different from 4.1 with
> > BIC changes? KDE doesn't have the manpower to develop 4.x and 5.x at the
> > same time, so we'd have to tell all people that just switched to 4.0,
> > they now have to port to 5.0 because thats the only release thats
> > actively worked on.
>
> You've kind of answered your own question though.

It was a rather rethorical question, because for the app developers
the two are practically the same - IMHO.

> But if we break BC in libraries then we practically have to call it 5.0.
> Anything else isn't very honest.

Calling the latest release a beta3 isn't very honest either, IMHO (or
the upcoming a beta4), besides the good progres that has been made in
the last weeks. Seriously, such big changes as the KConfig stuff that
just happened doesn't really cry "hey I'm nearly a release candidate,
i.e. a version that is going to be released until very important
problems arise".

Andreas

--
Afternoon very favorable for romance.  Try a single person for a change.