KConfig::checkUpdate()

Ingo Klöcker kloecker at kde.org
Tue Oct 23 21:08:00 BST 2007

On Tuesday 23 October 2007, David Faure wrote:
> On Monday 22 October 2007, Ingo Klöcker wrote:
> > I'm sorry, but you are wrong. It can happen that Konqueror (or more
> > precisely kio_khttp) keeps sending out a user agent string one has
> > configured ages ago and that doesn't appear anywhere in the
> > configuration dialog of an up-to-date Konqueror. This happened to
> > me and I only found this problem because some web page didn't work
> > with Konqueror and the web admin replied to my complaint by telling
> > me that they do actually test their web site with Konqueror, but
> > that I'm sending out a "Netscape 4.78" user agent string. I went to
> > check the configuration of Konqueror. It claimed that Konqueror
> > would use his standard user agent string. A short test with
> > wireshark proofed that Konqueror was lying. Only by grepping
> > $KDEHOME/share/config I found the problem in kio_httprc.
>
> Sounds like a bug, but not a kconfig_update related bug.
> I'm not aware of any kconfig_update for kio_httprc and other kioslave
> rc files.

An excerpt of my kio_httprc:

[$Version]
update_info=kioslave.upd:kde2.2/r1,kioslave.upd:kde2.2/r2

Yes, I'm using the same .kde directory since KDE 2.something. ;-)

IIRC then the problem was caused by a
  UserAgent=
entry in the main group (aka <default> group) which still seems to be
used by kio_http if available but which is no longer available in the
configuration dialog because it's no longer possible to enter arbitrary
text as user agent string.

Regards,
Ingo