KConfig::checkUpdate()

Lubos Lunak l.lunak at suse.cz
Mon Oct 22 16:21:23 BST 2007

On Saturday 20 of October 2007, Oswald Buddenhagen wrote:
> hoi,
>
> i sent this mail four years ago to waldo, but it stayed without echo.
> now i stumbled over the matter again, so here we go:
>
> --------
> another thing ... KConfig::checkUpdate() ... the presence of this
> function indicates a conceptual fault, i think - there should be no need
> for such manual action (after all, the idea of kconf_update was to have
> no legacy code in apps). any application run outside kde that does not
> use this function explicitly is going to miss its updates ...
> a possible solution might be a policy like "the .upd file should be
> named after the (target!) rc file", so kconfig could automatically
> determine that the file needs to be updated (if it's older than the .upd
> file or missing at all).
> --------
>
> according to lxr, the only user is kmail/kmstartup.cpp, so either the
> problem is virtually non-existent, generally underrated or it was solved
> somehow ...

 The problem is virtually non-existent - kconf_update is run even outside of
KDE, just like kbuildsycoca.

On Saturday 20 of October 2007, Aaron J. Seigo wrote:
> speaking of startup times, i wonder if we could get rid of all the kde3
> .upd files for 4.0 so that we don't haul that legacy around with us ... or
> would that be too potentially disruptive?

 I've changed kconf_update not to run update scripts if there's no config file
to update. Which should mean that clean installs should run few of them at
most and upgrades should run only those that are necessary anyway.

--
Lubos Lunak
KDE developer
SUSE LINUX, s.r.o.   e-mail: l.lunak at suse.cz , l.lunak at kde.org
Lihovarska 1060/12   tel: +420 284 028 972
190 00 Prague 9      fax: +420 284 028 951
Czech Republic       http//www.suse.cz