KIO::NetAccess static methods question

Kevin Ottens ervin at kde.org
Mon Oct 22 20:26:01 BST 2007

Le lundi 22 octobre 2007, Rafael Fernández López a écrit :
> > It's a sync API, your application will sit where the call happened,
> > making it unusable...
>
> Got from the documentation:
>    * [...] The functions appear to be blocking,
>    * but the Qt event loop continues running while the operations
>    * are handled. This means that the GUI will not freeze. [...]

Sure, it'll redraw but you won't do much more than this. Well I guess you
might be able to do some stuff, but shooting yourself in the head somehow.

> My main point is: we have a sync and async interfaces. The async interface
> already give some options for showing or not progress dialogs, why the sync
> one doesn't ? We could say: well, they are sync operations, there should be
> a progress dialog always, but we can make life easier to the developer by
> adding a parameter to the signature of the methods for allowing special
> operations (as Overwrite [as on KIO::Jobs now], HideProgress, etc...).

I'd say that since KIO::Job has exec() now it's all blurry... You should be
able to use KIO::Job for sync operations easily... Nowadays, the only benefit
I see in NetAccess is the convenience for temporary files (and it's a very
common case).

Regards.
Ne font reculer l'ignorance."