KIO::NetAccess static methods question

Kevin Ottens ervin at kde.org
Mon Oct 22 20:05:21 BST 2007

Le lundi 22 octobre 2007, Rafael Fernández López a écrit :
> > That said it's probably easy to add into KWidgetJobTracker, we're not
> > forced to call show() immediately on the ProgressWidgets like we do now.
>
> Of course we are not forced, but the reply to the question "it has
> only-show-after-a-few-seconds ?" is no.

Sure, just pointing a solution to make it more bearable, sorry for trying to
help. :-p

> It hasn't got a explicit method/behavior for that.

Actually the interface of the class wouldn't need a change in my opinion. It
should probably be default behavior of KWidgetJobTracker I guess... Nobody
wants popups which disappear instantly!

> > Actually that's a bad use case because you basically leave the user in
> > the dark wondering why the ui is sitting there doing nothing.
>
> Who said doing nothing ?

It's a sync API, your application will sit where the call happened, making it
unusable...

> On Amarok for example, when you ask for covers
> through the Internet you really think you are waiting for nothing ?

Sure, and guess what? It's not using KIO::NetAccess but KIO::Job.

> In this
> situation we would see (assumming we have X albums), X dialogs popping up
> and down without even time to read it. If it used this API for that.

Which is fine, NetAccess is the 'easy sync call' API, if you want more control
use KIO::Job (moreover KIO::Job even have exec() now, so you can still shoot
yourself in the foot, ensuring there's no progress UI and then blocking until
the job is done).

Regards.
Ne font reculer l'ignorance."