QLabel kills our KMessageBoxes (and others)

Lubos Lunak l.lunak at suse.cz
Mon Oct 22 16:27:13 BST 2007

On Friday 19 of October 2007, Thomas Zander wrote:
> On Friday 19 October 2007 11:12:04 Lubos Lunak wrote:
> > On Thursday 18 of October 2007, Thomas Zander wrote:
> > > Speaking as a co-KDE guy; I know you are well known in the
> > > window-manager area so I'm wondering what is holding up the 'perfect
> > > fix' ? Can you perhaps work in the spec to make this a concept
> > > available on X11?
> >
> >  I'm not sure. With fixed-value minimum size it's simple, both to set
> > and to use. But with height_for_width minimum size, with more complex
> > layouts it's probably possible to end up with more complicated rule
> > than something like "height = 20 + width / 50". Now, the window manager
> > should never be blocked by a client, meaning it can't query the client
> > whenever it needs this value - so how should it technically get the
> > minimum size?
>
> Why is the rule to never query the client a hard rule?

 It is not a hard rule. It's just not a very good idea to have the WM blocked
somewhere deep in the code waiting on a client that may take ages to respond.

> I can understand
> there might be problems in responsiveness for some windows, but at the
> same time the problem this thread addresses can be solved in the correct
> manner.  I'm sure that puts some weight in the scale.

 Nothing is perfect, and the gain/effort ratio may put more weight on the
other scale. Trying something almost correct first seems like a better option
to me.

--
Lubos Lunak
KDE developer
SUSE LINUX, s.r.o.   e-mail: l.lunak at suse.cz , l.lunak at kde.org
Lihovarska 1060/12   tel: +420 284 028 972
190 00 Prague 9      fax: +420 284 028 951
Czech Republic       http//www.suse.cz