QLabel kills our KMessageBoxes (and others)

Thomas Zander zander at kde.org
Fri Oct 19 22:11:17 BST 2007

On Friday 19 October 2007 11:12:04 Lubos Lunak wrote:
> On Thursday 18 of October 2007, Thomas Zander wrote:
> > On Thursday 18 October 2007 13:09:19 Lubos Lunak wrote:
> > >  Nah. The "unfixable" part is the fact that with multiline
> > > lineedits there's no obvious minimum size (since you can stretch
> > > the width or height while reducing the other and the contents will
> > > still fit) and "can't be fixed in X11" means that the window
> > > manager spec has support for minimum size, but only for fixed
> > > minimum size and not any width-for-height size.
> > >
> > >  TT apparently are not willing to do anything besides a perfect fix
> > > (which is not possible as they say), but I think e.g. going with a
> > > reasonable ratio of width/height as the minimum size could work
> > > good enough for most cases.
> >
> > Speaking as a co-KDE guy; I know you are well known in the
> > window-manager area so I'm wondering what is holding up the 'perfect
> > fix' ? Can you perhaps work in the spec to make this a concept
> > available on X11?
>
>  I'm not sure. With fixed-value minimum size it's simple, both to set
> and to use. But with height_for_width minimum size, with more complex
> layouts it's probably possible to end up with more complicated rule
> than something like "height = 20 + width / 50". Now, the window manager
> should never be blocked by a client, meaning it can't query the client
> whenever it needs this value - so how should it technically get the
> minimum size?

Why is the rule to never query the client a hard rule? I can understand
there might be problems in responsiveness for some windows, but at the
same time the problem this thread addresses can be solved in the correct
manner.  I'm sure that puts some weight in the scale.
IIRC Windows implements this feature (width for height), how does it solve
the problem you put forward of querying the client? Does anyone here
know?

--
Thomas Zander