kde3 kde4 coinstallability take two

Lubos Lunak l.lunak at suse.cz
Mon Oct 22 15:55:53 BST 2007

On Monday 22 of October 2007, Kevin Krammer wrote:
> On Monday 22 October 2007, Thiago Macieira wrote:
> > > usr/bin/kstart
> > > user application to start programs with weird args. Append 4 ?
> >
> > I guess not, since there might be user scripts out there that use it by
> > name.
> >
> > First of all, is this runtime material or workspace? I.e., does it work
> > with other WMs than kwin?
> >
> > Most of this application's options are related to the window placement,
> > so how is it communicating that information to the Window Manager? If
> > it's native WM hints, then either kstart would work just fine in either
> > environment.
> >
> > If it's using DCOP/D-Bus, then distributions will need to replace this
> > with a shell script that detects the running environment and execs the
> > correct one. Meaning: you need to rename the KDE 3 one too.
>
> From a quick look at the code I'd say it is using direct X11 communication
> with the window manager, so it should work with other window managers as
> well and there is probably no difference for a script if it calls the KDE3
> or KDE4 version.

 Correct. However it's a user script and I don't think it belongs to
kdebase/runtime. Well, at least it's certainly a hack ugly enough not to be
used by other apps.

--
Lubos Lunak
KDE developer
SUSE LINUX, s.r.o.   e-mail: l.lunak at suse.cz , l.lunak at kde.org
Lihovarska 1060/12   tel: +420 284 028 972
190 00 Prague 9      fax: +420 284 028 951
Czech Republic       http//www.suse.cz