kde3 kde4 coinstallability take two

Kurt Pfeifle k1pfeifle at gmx.net
Mon Oct 22 13:46:10 BST 2007

Hans Meine wrote:

> Am Montag, 22. Oktober 2007 14:17:28 schrieb Kurt Pfeifle:
>> This is mainly about kprinter being started as a standalone executable,
>> *not* the print dialog started from a KDE3 application (which naturally
>> sends PostScript output from printing).
>
> Yeah, but you mentioned 3rd party apps, which also use the "standalone"
> kprinter, but only send postscript.

I mentioned both, and meant both. Yes, 3rd party apps (usually) send
PostScript to kprinter when they use it as their print command. (But
I've had 2 customers with different CAD applications: one could output
TIFF (for printing to plotters/large format inkjets), the other could
output PDF. So they configured their apps to do so, and send *these*
to kprinter.

>> For me it is *very* common to use
>>
>>   kprinter *.jpg *.png
>>
>> and then select the target printer (usually the color laser in the office
>> next door), open the "Properties..." dialog, go to the "Image" tab and
>> set the printed image size to "100% of page" (sometimes I use 90%), and
>> hit the print button.
>
> Good that you posted this, because I was not aware of these possibilities.
>
>>> It's nice that CUPS supports that if it's properly set up,
>> It supports it out of the box. Unless your distro messes with it too much.
>
> OK, then I don't know who messed it up here, but this is a fairly complex
> University installation.  If CUPS always supports that and has an API for
> setting image size

You can do it all on the commandline too. kprinter uses the "cupsdoprint"
helper application to send the file from the commandline, and to set
commandline params matching your GUI settings.

See (in case you've CUPS 1.2.x installed):

  http://localhost:631/help/options.html?TOPIC=Getting+Started#IMAGEOPTIONS

--
Kurt Pfeifle
System & Network Printing Consultant ---- Linux/Unix/Windows/Samba/CUPS