kde3 kde4 coinstallability take two

Hans Meine hans_meine at gmx.net
Mon Oct 22 13:29:11 BST 2007

Am Montag, 22. Oktober 2007 14:17:28 schrieb Kurt Pfeifle:
> This is mainly about kprinter being started as a standalone executable,
> *not* the print dialog started from a KDE3 application (which naturally
> sends PostScript output from printing).

Yeah, but you mentioned 3rd party apps, which also use the "standalone"
kprinter, but only send postscript.

> For me it is *very* common to use
>
>   kprinter *.jpg *.png
>
> and then select the target printer (usually the color laser in the office
> next door), open the "Properties..." dialog, go to the "Image" tab and
> set the printed image size to "100% of page" (sometimes I use 90%), and
> hit the print button.

Good that you posted this, because I was not aware of these possibilities.

> > It's nice that CUPS supports that if it's properly set up,
>
> It supports it out of the box. Unless your distro messes with it too much.

OK, then I don't know who messed it up here, but this is a fairly complex
University installation.  If CUPS always supports that and has an API for
setting image size etc., that's indeed a big difference to other printing
systems.  I wonder if/how that can be supported in KDE 4, where CUPS cannot
be relied on (e.g. Windows).  It's a desirable feature though.

> > but for using it in
> > KDE, one would need to have tight control of that feature (is it active?
> > change parameters, etc.) via a GUI that does not yet exist, and an API
> > which I don't know if it is available at all.
>
> Huh? I don't understand anything you write beyond "one would need".

That is because...

> kprinter, on its "Image" tab, provides control (tight control even) of
> all features that CUPS offers for image printing (== sending images in
> their own native format: jpeg, png, tiff, giff, pnm, ppm, ....). And it
> is a GUI that does exist since 6 years.  You may want to study the
> "WhatsThis" help blobs on the "Image" tabs....

...I was not aware of that. ;-)

Ciao, /  /
     /--/
    /  / ANS