[RFC] KConfig API stuff

Cornelius Schumacher schumacher at kde.org
Mon Oct 22 01:18:03 BST 2007

On Sunday 21 October 2007 20:21:56 Andreas Pakulat wrote:

> What about delaying the release then?

I don't think that's a good idea. The road to KDE 4 has been long enough. Now
we should really concentrate on shipping it. We all will be happier people,
once that's done ;-)

By the way, there always will be a next release. No need to solve all problems
at once.

> Quite some time ago (when the
> release plans got discussed) it was said that kde wouldn't take the dates
> as set in stone and delay them if need arises. So which changes would be
> such a need, if not a finally good KConfig API?

What's wrong with the KConfig API? It has worked well for many years. Sure,
there might be some aspects which could be better, but striving for
perfection isn't necessarily what helps us to get our software to our users
and that's what we all want, don't we?

I would say, if the need for a new KConfig API wasn't so pressing in the last
two years while we work on KDE 4 that somebody actually did it, it can't be
important enough to bring the release in trouble now.

> OTOH this could be done
> for KDE 4.1 and we could just break the BC with that release.

If we do that in KDE 4.1 is something we should discuss when we have released
4.0. Right now we should concentrate on finishing the code for the release.
Get in release mode. It's much more fun to see things being finished than
waiting for the perfect API to arrive.