[RFC] KConfig API stuff

Andreas Hartmetz ahartmetz at gmail.com
Mon Oct 22 00:06:30 BST 2007

Am Sonntag, 21. Oktober 2007 21:07:51 schrieb Oswald Buddenhagen:
> On Sun, Oct 21, 2007 at 08:51:53PM +0200, Riccardo Iaconelli wrote:
> > On Sunday 21 October 2007 20:21:56 Andreas Pakulat wrote:
> > > OTOH this could be done for KDE 4.1 and we could just break the BC
> > > with that release.
> >
> > Personally, I'm all for marking 4.0 still "instable", and have 4.1 as
> > first binary compatible release for the whole 4 cycle.
> > I think it's a very good thing to do, also given all the limitations
> > and regression that the 4.0 release will have.
> > It's also a good "marketing" thing, because it'll be even more clear
> > that 4.0 won't be the end or the final point of KDE 4.
>
> lol. what a spin to hide that we are simply not there yet. talking
> success propaganda. :-)
> anyway, lets see what the currently running trunk compile brings. :)

Hey, I think it's safe to assume that very few people who need KDE for daily
work will use 4.0. In other words, 4.0 will be a (transitional?) release for
early adopters.
We still need a goal to aim for to get something released. Once that goal is
reached an opportunity to break BC (and SC) would not hurt much considering
who is going to use 4.0. IMHO BC and SC should not be sacred cows, and they
become more important as the platform stabilizes and gains users.
Breaking BC means admitting defeat *for now* in getting third-party,
especially commercial, applications on the platform, but the fact is that
there are about no (important) third-party KDE applications that have no way
of getting updates to their users when KDE updates.

Cheers,
Andreas