KNotify startup

Allen Winter winter at kde.org
Sun Oct 21 15:12:23 BST 2007

On Thursday 07 June 2007 04:15:07 am Thiago Macieira wrote:

> Lubos Lunak said:

> >> script.
> >>
> >> The idea was to start knotify with the dbus daemon activation thing.
> >> But
> >> this doesn't work because this is broken by design. (It require to
> >> install
> >> a file in a place which is at least not possible in my installation)
>
> The D-Bus daemon honours $XDG_DATA_DIRS. So, set it to include your KDE
> installation before you start the D-Bus daemon.

We are doing that now in startkde.  You'll see dfaure and I added some
code to set XDG_DATA_DIRS immediately before qdbus starts.

> I have a proposal to enhance the D-Bus activation thing with
> desktop-specific configuration. But this won't help running KDE
> applications outside KDE.

Did that proposal get accepted and, if so, has it been implemented?
Maybe I'm using an old d-bus?  I have version 1.0.1

> >> So yes, it should be probably started with startkde.
> >> But it still need to be started on demand anyway to work in non KDE
> >> environment.
> >
> >  In which case there's not much point in starting it in startkde, right :)
> > ?
>
> startkde won't help, actually. This needs to be started even when run from
> outside a full KDE session.

Unless you have a better idea, I think we currently have no choice but
to start knotify4 from startkde.

Please let me know how to proceed.  I really would like to fix this.

-Allen