KDE/kdelibs/kdeui/icons

Kenneth Wimer wimer at kde.org
Fri Oct 19 00:18:41 BST 2007

On Friday 19 October 2007 00:52:13 Aaron J. Seigo wrote:
> On Tuesday 16 October 2007, pinheiro wrote:
> > I have serius doubts it will ever be beter, the trend as the renderes get
> > beter and beter is that the artists make more and more complex images
> > couse they can :)
>
> i'd like to ask the artists to consider these choices carefully. please
> make images that are usable rather than simply push the limits in every
> direction just because you can do it in inkscape or whatever app.

Fully implementing the visual aspects of the SVG standard would be more than
enough :p

There are fundamental things lacking. Things like gaussian blur are very
important and simply not implemented. I think that there would be ways to
speed things up depending on the size of the pixmap rendered but that is just
one thing in the list of things to work on.

There might be possibilities to create the SVG differently while keeping the
same look but in any case that limits the artist, takes much more time and
expects more knowledge of an artist. Not to mention limiting the artistic
vision. It might be necessary at some stage to some small degree but should
not be the rule of how we do things. I agree that we cannot simply do
anything that any app can implement but supporting the important parts of the
visual aspect of the SVG spec is a must if we want to to use SVG.

--
Ken