KDE/kdelibs/kdeui/icons

Rafael Fernández López ereslibre at kde.org
Tue Oct 16 23:08:12 BST 2007

> I have serius doubts it will ever be beter, the trend as the renderes get
> beter and beter is that the artists make more and more complex images couse
> they can :)
> Also the size factor is important vector images are geting big very big,
> png's are so much more smaler.

If the renderer is good enough, it shouldn't be any problem. If you want a
500x500 icon for whatever reason (for example a splashscreen), you cannot
resize a 128x128 or 256x256 icon. If you want a non standard size icon,
resizing it is a very very old technique. We can avoid that today (well, not
today, as _today_, but as nowadays).

Resizing leads to detail loss (upscaling or downscaling, doesn't matter,
though the latter is far better than the former).

I completely agree on loading PNG's files if we are asking for a standard size
(this is the normal stuff, almost every calls to KIconLoader want a standard
size icon), but not for non standard sizes for the exposed reasons. Exactly
for that reason we have SVG renderers.

Bye,
Rafael Fernández López.