libkdeprint

Kevin Krammer kevin.krammer at gmx.at
Tue Oct 16 18:40:57 BST 2007

On Tuesday 16 October 2007, Alex Merry wrote:
> On Tuesday 16 Oct 2007, Jakob Petsovits wrote:
> > On Tuesday, 16. October 2007, Andreas Pakulat wrote:
> > > From what Pino said so far I guess they let poppler do the
> > > rendering and fetch a pixmap to be displayed in okular's viewport.
> > > And of course using that pixmap for printing will produce bad
> > > results.
> >
> > Given that oKular can zoom pretty close, I assume that poppler can
> > produce arbitrarily sized renderings? Such as, renderings with a
> > resolution that matches those of printers?
> >
> > Sure, printing whole-page images will be slow as hell... but it would
> > work.
>
> It could be a solution.  It wouldn't be ideal, because really we want to
> send a document with fonts and text to the printer, rather than just an
> image (you can do this with QPrinter/QPainter, as far as I can tell,
> but the external libraries don't have any way of providing the
> necessary information to do so).

Well, printing pixmaps can't be that bad, otherwise it would be pretty
impossible to print images from image manipulation programs.

In the long run it will probably be better to extend poppler such that it can
use a QPainter and thus also render to a QPrinter.

Cheers,
Kevin
KDE user support, developer mentoring