libkdeprint

Hans Meine hans_meine at gmx.net
Tue Oct 16 15:51:21 BST 2007

Am Dienstag, 16. Oktober 2007 16:38:29 schrieb Kurt Pfeifle:
> Hans Meine wrote:
> > Am Dienstag, 16. Oktober 2007 16:23:01 schrieb Kurt Pfeifle:
> >> Which features are you talking about, exactly? Must be features
> >> like better color management, support for transparency and better
> >> font handling (my guess).
> >
> > No, it's about platform-independence.
>
> No, platform-independence is a 2nd, unrelated argument in favor
> of changing KDEPrint's design.

Why do you think so?

> My question asking for the features Thomas had in mind came from
> this statement of him:
>
>    "due to my 10 years of experience in the field and I know for
>     a fact that producing a postscript file is entirely unhelpful
>     for Windows printers, for Macintosh printers

Note that he used platform-indepence as his first argument

>     and

Note the "and"!

>     for applica-
>     tions that want to use features that are not supported in
>     postscript."

This is the second(ary) argument, which does not play the main role ATM (but
might in the future).

> The operational part of the sentence is not the platform inde-
> pendence (that only plays into it additionlly, because PS *IS*
> platform independent already),

If you call handling PS files (copying, renaming, ...) PS support, then
Windows supports Postscript.  But AFAIK, it does not support printing them,
except when you install and set up loads of open source software.

Ciao, /  /
     /--/
    /  / ANS