libkdeprint

Kurt Pfeifle k1pfeifle at gmx.net
Tue Oct 16 15:38:29 BST 2007

Hans Meine wrote:
> Am Dienstag, 16. Oktober 2007 16:23:01 schrieb Kurt Pfeifle:
>> Which features are you talking about, exactly? Must be features
>> like better color management, support for transparency and better
>> font handling (my guess).
>
> No, it's about platform-independence.

No, platform-independence is a 2nd, unrelated argument in favor
of changing KDEPrint's design.

My question asking for the features Thomas had in mind came from
this statement of him:

   "due to my 10 years of experience in the field and I know for
    a fact that producing a postscript file is entirely unhelpful
    for Windows printers, for Macintosh printers and for applica-
    tions that want to use features that are not supported in
    postscript."

The operational part of the sentence is not the platform inde-
pendence (that only plays into it additionlly, because PS *IS*
platform independent already), but the capability of PS itself:

   "applications want to use features not supported in
    PostScript" and therefore "producing PostScript is
    entirely unhelpful".

--
Kurt Pfeifle
System & Network Printing Consultant ---- Linux/Unix/Windows/Samba/CUPS