libkdeprint

Kurt Pfeifle k1pfeifle at gmx.net
Tue Oct 16 14:54:47 BST 2007

Hans Meine wrote:
> Am Dienstag, 16. Oktober 2007 14:53:00 schrieb Kurt Pfeifle:
>>> The best solution for this problem is QPrinter.
>> *IS*?? "Will be" may be a more appropriate wording. Hardly anyone has
>> seen it in action. So we all have to take your word for it. And we all
>> hope you are right.
>
> And probably I should add/stress that QPrinter is nothing that "hardly anyone
> has seen in action".  QPrinter is a C++ class that has been there since Qt
> 1.0 AFAIK, with a well-defined API and everything.

OK, that much I got.

What implications that has to user-visible interfaces and interaction
options when printing, I can't gather from that. Hence my many questions
and postings in the last 6 weeks dealing with these concerns. (But these
were mostly ignored and left un-answered anyway.)

> You must not
> compare/confuse that with the command line application "kprinter" which we
> all love so much.

And which will be removed for KDE 4.0. Or not?

> Thomas is (well, was, before you scared him away?) talking about the
> internals.  He is not the devil that you call him;

C'mon, I didn't call him that. I do wonder if everybody who read my
mail did see it in the same light?

All I did is this: I wanted to explain how we came into the current
state of development and emotions (which includes some unfriendly
feelings directed towards his person, reflected even in SVN commit
messages, if you follow the Commit Digest) from parts of the commu-
nity who feel having their interests and feelings being neglected by
the new approach and mailing list statements justifying the new
KDE4 print design).

And I wanted to explain the current situation without resorting to
myths ("PDF is the only supported format for Linux printing in the
very near future").

--
Kurt Pfeifle
System & Network Printing Consultant ---- Linux/Unix/Windows/Samba/CUPS